Worried about whether or not someone you love still has the capability to drive? Our hospital offers a special driving assessment administered by a licensed occupational therapist specializing in driving evaluation and safety.
All you need to get the driving assessment is:
- Physician’s referral and medical history
- Valid driver’s license or permit
Driving assessments are not usually covered by insurance, for payment options contact us.
Driving assessments may include:
Evaluation of physical abilities such as:
- Functional ability
- Muscle strength
Evaluation of cognitive abilities such as:
- Reaction time
- Language skills
Knowledge of traffic safety laws:
- Compliance to rules of the road
Evaluation of in-care driving ability:
- Appropriate driving speeds and control of the car
- Ability to identify, avoid and/or problem solve hazardous traffic situations
- Ability to safely operate and control a car in varied traffic situations
- Timely responses to traffic or road changes
Following the assessment driving recommendations are provided to you and your physician.